|
A Basildon Chronology |
 |
| The 1950s |
 |
|
1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 |
 |
|
|
|
| 1950 |
|
Residents' Protection Association formed. Individual branches of the R.P.A. had existed since 1948, these being:
Laindon, Basildon, Dunton, Pitsea and Vange, who collectively came together with the idea, among others, of securing seats on the local council. They
were successful in the local elections with six of their members winning a seat. These were: Mr. F.A. Wilmott, Mr. E.C.S. Charrison, Mr. J.F. Rolski,
Mr. T.S. Wallace, Mr. J.W. Hales and Mr. A.D. Selley. The R.P.A. was still active in the 1970s. |
23rd February |
Mr. Bernard Braine (later Sir) (23,803) is elected Conservative Member of Parliament for the new Billericay constituency including Basildon. He took the seat with a majority of
4,366 over Labour Co-operative opponent Albert Oram. Mr. Braine had previously stood unsuccessfully against Labour's Albert Betchervaise for the
Leyton East seat in the 1945 general election. The Labour Party won the general election. |
24th March |
Pitsea Hall in Marsh Road, Pitsea is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic interest
list. It has since been designated Grade II listed status. The hall is now known as Cromwell Manor
and located in Pitsea Hall Lane. |
24th March |
Holy Cross Church in Church Road, Basildon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II* listed building. |
24th March |
St. Michael's Church in Church Path, Pitsea is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
St. Nicholas Church in Church Hill, Laindon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade I listed building. |
24th March |
St. Peter's Church in Church Lane, Nevendon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II* listed building. |
24th March |
Doves Farmhouse at 97 Pound Lane, Laindon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
Dry Street Farmhouse in Dry Street, Langdon Hills is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
Great Chalvedon Hall in Rectory Road, Pitsea is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. The building
was acquired by Basildon Council from the last tenants in the mid 1970s and leased to the Whitbread
Brewery Co. for conversion to a public house. It is now in Tyefields and still in use as a public house. |
24th March |
The Rectory in Nevendon Road, Nevendon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
Nevendon Hall in Nevendon Road, Nevendon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
The Five Bells public house at London Road, Vange is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
The Cottage - nos. 1 and 2 Paynters Hill, Vange is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
The Lighthouse in Lee Chapel Lane, Langdon Hills is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
24th March |
Hawksbury Manor in Hawksbury Bush Lane, Vange is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic
interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building. |
13th May |
The Rt. Hon. Hugh Dalton, M.P., Minister of Town and Country Planning, visits Basildon. The minister,
who had recently succeeded Lewis Silkin, was on a fact finding mission and as part of his tour he visited the Crown Hotel public house in Langdon
Hills. He concluded his trip with a visit to Basildon Development Corporation's Gifford House headquarters at Bowers Gifford. His visit to Gifford
House drew the attention of two members of the Pitsea branch of the Residents' Protection Association, Mr. F.A. Willmott and Mr. W. Campbell, who brazenly displayed a large 6ft
x 9ft hoarding with the words 'DOES DALTON DECLARE DEATH TO FREEHOLD' as a greeting message from the roadside. |
9th June |
Sir Lancelot Keay, Chairman of Basildon Development Corporation, cuts the first sod in the creation of Basildon's first new road East Mayne. East Mayne,
known as Road 1 on the Corporation's Master Plan, was built in stages with the first section between the A127 running parallel with Nevendon Road to a
junction with Burnt Mills Road. It initially served the No.1 Industrial Estate where factories were under construction from 1951 onwards. The new road,
which was duel carriageway throughout, was later designated A132 following its eventual completion to a new roundabout where it would link up with
Broadmayne (Road 2), when that road was completed in the early 1960s. |
August |
The Pitsea Carnival returns. The annual carnival which was suspended in 1940 following the outbreak
of World War Two would continue yearly until around 1957 when the Basildon Carnival was launched. This years
carnival queen, Daphne Ashbourne, was crowned by Billericay M.P. Bernard Braine. |
| |
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2017.
Copyright © 2001-2017, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved. |
Acknowledgements and Bibliography
Contact: E-Mail |
 |