blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Chronology
   
blank.gif
A Basildon Chronology
blank.gif
The 1950s
blank.gif
1950   1951   1952   1953   1954   1955   1956   1957   1958   1959
blank.gif
 
1957

 

Timberlog County Secondary School in Timberlog Lane opened. The first appointed Headmaster was Mr. Vivian Robson who formerly taught at Rayleigh Technical & Secondary Modern. It was designed by the established team of architects C.S. Mardall, F.R.S. Yorke and Eugene Rosenberg. In September 1968 the school merged with nearby Barstable, with the Timberlog site becoming Barstable lower school. The school was later demolished in the 1990s and replaced with residential housing comprising Ascot Grove, Chalice Close, Mopsies Road and Vine Close.

 

Nether Mayne South West 'feeder' road linking the A13 at Vange with Roundacre roundabout completed. Construction began around late 1956 or early 1957 and involved the complete rebuild of the Woottons Lane railway overbridge (Bridge 85). The road, since designated A176, was known as Road 4 on the development corporation's area plan.

 

Clay Hill Road 'feeder' road linking Vange with Basildon town centre completed. Construction began during 1957 and involved the realignment of the existing course to a new junction at Southernhay, completed the previous year. The realignment involved the complete rebuild of the former Shelley Road railway overbridge (Bridge 87). The road was known as Road 10 on the development corporation's area plan.

 

Long Riding, Barstable shops completed. The two shops with upper floor maisonette accommodation at 303 and 305 Long Riding were built to serve the Barstable West housing developments. Various newsagents would trade at 305 including Newswell during the 1970s.

 

Ilford Limited open a photographic colour processing plant at Paycocke Road, Basildon. The company, founded in 1879 by Alfred Harman in Ilford, Essex, were early pioneers in the development of photographic reproduction methods; establishing themselves as one of the leading film developers in the United Kingdom. The factory, on the No. 1 industrial estate at Nevendon, was designed in part by Anthony B. Davies, an employee of Basildon Development Corporation and soon to be their chief architect planner. A prominent feature of the factory site, which employs a workforce of around 1200 people, is a tall landmark chimney, finished in white and emblazoned with the company's name in black vertical lettering.

 

Her Majesty's Stationery Office (H.M.S.O.) open a small 'nursery' office at 45 Bowlers Croft on the Nevendon No.1 Industrial Estate. This would operate to 1963 when a purpose built office block and associated building was completed close to the Town Centre at The Gore in Ghyllgrove.

January

St. Teresa's Roman Catholic Primary School in Elsenham Crescent, Barstable, opened. The new school, the first of its kind in Basildon and opened by the Irish Sisters of Charity, had a capacity for 280 children. Sister Joseph Rita was appointed as the first Head Teacher. The school and a convent on the same site was blessed on 23rd May by the Bishop of Brentwood, Rt. Rev. Bernard Wall. It is now voluntary aided and under the Trusteeship of the Brentwood Diocese.

February

Joan Best of Rectory Road, Pitsea becomes the first female constable to serve at Pitsea Police Station.

April

The Ford Motor Company open a radiator factory in Honywood Road on the No.1. Nevendon Industrial Estate. This was Ford's first entry into the town and the company would continue to invest heavily in the area throughout the 1960s and '70s. The factory became the Visteon Radiator Plant in 1997 (US automotive parts supplier Visteon becoming a Ford subsidiary until 2000) but closed down in March 2008 when owners Visteon UK went into administration.

26th June

Basildon town centre's first road Southernhay and Gloucester Park open space are formally opened by the Duke & Duchess of Gloucester who gave their name to the park. The Duke of Gloucester (Prince Henry) was the 3rd son of King George V and uncle to Queen Elizabeth II and the Duchess (Princess Alice) was born Lady Alice Christabel Montague Douglas Scott.

5th September

Kingswood County Infant & Junior School in Clay Hill Road, Kingswood, opened. The Headmaster at the time of opening was Mr. John Emrys John. The School was initially established in the infant block while the junior school was being completed. In 1960 Miss D.E. Barber became the first infant Headmistress when the schools separate identities were finally established.

19th September

Hanningfield Reservoir, near Downham, formally opened. Work on creating the 870 acre reservoir, the second largest in Essex after Abberton, began in 1951 following the Hanningfield Water Act 1950 with the aim of providing water for the new town of Basildon and other parts of Essex. The reservoir, a joint construction by the Southend Waterworks Company and South Essex Waterworks Company, when full holds 27 billion litres of water. W & C French of Buckhurst Hill, Essex were the main contractors tasked with its its construction, which was put at around £6 million. It has an average depth of 25 feet (maximum 55 feet) and is fed from the rivers Blackwater and Chelmer. A 16th century manor house at Downham called Fremnells was demolished as part of the development which mainly covers farm land in what was known as the Sandown Valley in the ancient parish of Peasdown. The Right Honourable Henry Brooke, M.P., Minister of Housing and Local Government, performed the opening ceremony. It is now in the ownership of Essex and Suffolk Water Company who maintain it in partnership with Essex Wildlife Trust.

9th November

Stewards, a developing local shop chain run by businessman Jack Shepard, hold a firework display at the headquarters of Basildon Town football club in Timberlog Lane.

December

Langdon Hills Sanatorium at Dry Street closes. Opened in 1927 on land purchased by West Ham Borough Council the purpose built hospital was provided with living accommodation and a school room for children suffering with tuberculosis. In 1948 it fell under the control of South East Essex Management Committee who converted it to an adult male intake in 1950. Following closure the grounds were at one time considered as a possible site for the future Basildon Hospital but were eventually sold in 1964, in part to Essex County Council as an extension to its One Tree Hill site, and the rest into private ownership where the Wootton boarding kennels were established, lasting through to the 2000s. The remaining land and Wootton House, which had been used as the Nurses' quarters, remain in private ownership.

19th December

The Winged Horse public house in Luncies Road, Barstable, opened. The name was chosen by Mr. N.L. Duckworth of 12 Claydon Crescent, Basildon who won a £25 prize in a "name your new pub" competition organised by owners Taylor Walker Brewery Co.

 
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2020.
Copyright © 2001-2020, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Acknowledgements and Bibliography

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Chronology Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM