blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Chronology
   
blank.gif
A Basildon Chronology
blank.gif
The 1950s
blank.gif
1950   1951   1952   1953   1954   1955   1956   1957   1958   1959
blank.gif
 
1955

 

The first tenants begin moving into houses on the Pound Lane Estate at Laindon. Building work began on the new housing estate around 1953/54 on behalf of Billericay Urban District Council. The estate, which is the second large scale project undertaken by the council in Laindon, consists mainly of 2, 3 and 4 bedroomed properties arranged in terraced rows. The streets, comprising Beecham Court, Boult Road, Byrd Court, Dowland Walk, Elgar Close, Fonteyn Close, Holst Avenue, Kathleen Ferrier Crescent, Pound Lane, Purcell Close, Tallis Road, Vaughn Williams Road and Walton Court, with the exception of Pound Lane - which pre-dated the estate - take their names from English classical composers, conductors, musicians and singers. In 1960 an addition to the estate, Arne Court, was built and named in keeping with the existing musical theme.

 

The Jolly Friar public house in Whitmore Way, Fryerns opened. It was designed by London architects Stewart and Hendry and run by the Mann, Crossman & Paulin brewery company. The buildings design incorporated living accommodation and an off-licence. For many years a large Manns sign adorned an outer wall. In 1972 the saloon and lounge bars were combined to form a larger lounge bar by which time the pub had become a Watney Mann House and part of St. George's Taverns pub chain.

 

Basildon Amateur Athletic Club founded. During discussions with the local council Frank and Elizabeth Cocker were asked to form a club for the benefit of the growing town. In the 1960s a grass track was established at Gloucester Park which would become their permanent home. The facilities there were later greatly improved by the creation of a proper 'arena' with undercover seating and floodlights. A long serving coach and former chairman is Bob Hawthorne.

 

Luncies Farm in Luncies Road, Vange demolished. The farm house, which stood to the north side of Luncies Road, may have dated from the 17th century as the name Luncies is recognised in the Nevendon church register. It was acquired, along with its fields, by Basildon Development Corporation for the Barstable East developments that were ongoing in that area of Basildon. St. Basil's Roman Catholic Church now stands on or near the former farm. During 1922 and early 1923 the then occupier Charles King was involved in a commercial enterprise selling bottled water from a mineral well, sunk within the farm grounds. The venture, known as the Vange Crystal Well Company, briefly prospered, mainly off the back of a rival company operating at Hovells Farm in the parish of Fobbing. The water, it was claimed, had been benefiting the locals for 50 years with its apparent medicinal qualities. It came to the attention of the sanitary authorities who deemed it unfit for human consumption, bringing a close to the flourishing business.

 

Basildon R.F.C. (Rugby Football Club) founded. The club was founded by Rev. Norman Woodrow of St. Michael's Church, Pitsea. Around 1961 the club found themselves a permanent base at a house in Church Hill, Laindon called Drumcondra. In the late 1960s the club moved to playing fields adjacent to the Murryfield pavilion in Gloucester Park, and then in 1974 moved again to Gardiners Close where they remain today. Regeneration plans for the area will probably mean the club relocating again.

February

Westley Cricket Club formed. For their opening season the club's home fixtures were played at Langdon Hills Recreation Ground. In 1956 the club took over the former German POW camp field in Dry Street where they remained until 1969. They have played at various grounds since and remain active into the 2000s.

10th February

Phase I of the Nevendon Sewage Treatment Works off Nevendon Road (now Courtaud Road) becomes fully operational. Work on laying the trunk sewers and plant works, which was carried out by contractors on behalf of Basildon Development Corporation, began in 1952 following a public inquiry held on 8th April, 1952. After treatment the purified effluent is discharged two miles away into Pitsea Creek. The first use of the Works occurred on 1st February followed on the 10th by an informal opening ceremony performed by the Corporation's Chairman Sir Humfrey Gale, who brought the whole plant into operation. An official opening ceremony was later held on 13th May performed by the Rt. Hon. Duncan Sandys, MP., Minister of Housing and Local Government. In July 1959 work began on a major extension which was completed in 1961. From 01/04/1974 following the Water Act of 1973 a new company called Anglia Water Authority took over responsibility for the main sewage disposal works.

March

G & R Wrenn open a new toy manufacturing factory at 9 Bowlers Croft, Honywood Road, Basildon. The family run business Partnership, which specialises in the design and manufacture of die cast models for the '00' gauge model railways system, moved to the Nevendon industrial estate in Basildon from Lee Green in south east London. It was founded in 1950 by the Wrenn brothers George and Richard. The business became a limited company in 1957 and soon expanded into neighbouring units 7 and 11. Wrenn's survived at Basildon until October 1992, when it ceased trading and was then acquired in 1993 by Dapol Model Railways of Cheshire.

2nd March

Shops at the Barstable neighbourhood centre at Timberlog Lane begin opening. The 16 shop units comprising 13 in Timberlog Lane and 3 in Long Riding is the second large scale shopping development undertaken by Basildon Development Corporation. Work commenced on its construction the previous year and included a mix of two-storey maisonettes and three storey maisonettes/flats above each Timberlog Lane shop unit. Among the first to open were Stewards radio, tv and electrical on 2nd March at No.223, Martin's newsagents at 219, Cox Bros. butchers at 211 and a Crown post office at 199-201.

19th March

The second New Town community hall is opened. The new hall in Luncies Road on the Barstable East estate was built in part by local residents and completed by Basildon Development Corporation, whose chairman, Sir Humfrey Gale, performed the opening ceremony. To save on costs it is of a timber construction.

31st March

Basildon Urban District Council's residential property ownership for the Laindon, Pitsea and Vange areas totals 868. The total broken down is as follows: Laindon; 478, of which 298 are houses, 148 are flats and 32 are bungalows. Vange; 278, of which 138 are houses, 116 are flats and 24 are bungalows. Pitsea; 112, of which 104 are houses and 8 are bungalows. The majority of these properties comprise the King Edward Road and Pound Lane estates at Laindon, both built within the last 10 years, and an estate at Moss Drive in Vange and developments in the Crest Avenue/Kenneth Road area of Pitsea.

April

Greensted County Infants' & Junior School in Kirby Road, Barstable opened. Mrs. E.M. Cole and Mr. J.E. Stanger were two of the respective headteachers in the schools' long history.

1st April

With the consent of Essex County Council the name of Billericay Urban District Council is changed to Basildon Urban District Council.

May

Brian Edwards, conservative councillor representing No.1 Ward Billericay and Buttsbury, is elected as the first Chairman of Basildon Urban District Council.

26th May

Mr. Richard Body (later Sir) (24,327) is elected Conservative Member of Parliament for the Billericay constituency including Basildon. He won with a majority of 4,206 over Labour candidate Brian Clapham. His victory was achieved at the 4th attempt after standing in two previous general elections; Rotherham in 1950, and Leek in 1951, as well as the 1950 by-election for the welsh seat of Abertilley. He won the candidacy after the previous M.P., Bernard Braine, stood down to stand in the re-established South East Essex constituency. The Conservative Party won the general election. The count, held at Archer Hall in Laindon Road, Billericay, took just 67 minutes after the polls closed at 9.00pm and was the first to be declared nationally.

4th July

All Saints Church in London Road, Vange is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II* listed building.

4th July

St. Mary the Virgin Church in Church Road, Dunton is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building.

4th July

Laindon Ponds farmhouse in Wash Road, Laindon is listed on the Ministry of Works buildings of historic interest list. It has since been designated a Grade II listed building.

12th December

The number of councillors elected to serve on Basildon Council is also increased from 24 to 26. This was to enable Ward 4 (Basildon/Vange) to elect two additional councillors, one of which was Alf Dove who went on to serve for 43 years. (County of Essex (Basildon Urban District Wards and Councillors) Order, 1959). The first elections took place on 12th May 1956.

 
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2020.
Copyright © 2001-2020, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Acknowledgements and Bibliography

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Chronology Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM